Post Number: 18
|Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 10:39 am: ||
I realized I had a problem with one of my Petri rangefinders, when I compared focusing on small contrasty objects: one of them never matched the items in the split image vertically.
I tried to look for a service manual or a thread explaining the adjustment, but wasn't lucky enough to find one, so out comes my trusty screwdriver.
I assumed that the rangefinder's vertical collimation would be a quick thing to re-adjust, since I wouldn't be touching the focus, but only the vertical alignment. Seeing as this operation must be one of the most common "repairs" done on rangefinders, I decided to look under the cold shoe if the adjustment could be done from there.
And it could. (yay!)
There seemed to be one screw that I assumed to be the focus adjustment and two holes on a piece of metal that held the small mirror of the rangefinder that turned out to be what I was looking for. I put a small screwdriver into one of the holes and assumed that the fore-aft -direction would be the one I needed to fiddle with, since it would logically account for the vertical reflection angle of that small mirror.
A few bends in the right direction while looking through the viewfinder and the adjustment was done.
That's one small thing learned about rangefinders, another quick fix that won't require the assistance of professional repair shops.
If anyone wants pictures, I think I can snap a handful in the near future.